British Political Parties Today
This textbook analyzes the major political parties in Britain - their ideals, organization, electoral records and prospects and the effect they have on British politics and society. The authors begin by asking why parties exist and then examine the changing electoral structure and shifting policy context of Britain's "party system". They assess the history, philosophy, organization and leadership of the major parties, the shifts in these areas during the Thatcher years and the questions posed to all the British parties by the prospect of European integration - an issue with profound implications for both the conduct and scope of party politics in Britain. Although a strong sense of history provides the context for the analysis, the book is also fully up-to-date, with an account of the Conservatives under John Major, the Labour Party inherited by John Smith and the challenges facing Paddy Ashdown's Liberal Democrats.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Manchester Univ Pr
- ISBN-13: 9780719030475
- ISBN: 0719030471
- Publication Year: 1993