Best Of Slim Harpo [Ace]
By rolling country and swamp blues together up into a completely new place, then sprinkling in just a touch of Jimmy Reed, Slim Harpo created a body of work for Jay Miller's Nashville-based Excello Records in the early '60s that has been as impossible to re-create as it has been influential. The rustic, laconic way that these recordings unfolded, aided and abetted by Miller's trademark, echo-laden production, makes them singular even inside the Excello stable. This succinct set has the best known tracks that Harpo released, including the songs "I'm a King Bee" (and its many variations like "Buzzin'"), the gorgeous "Rainin' in My Heart" (and its maybe even more impressive sequel "Still Rainin' in My Heart"), "Baby Scratch My Back," and "Te-Ni-Nee-Ni-Nu," Truthfully, Harpo was a bit of a one trick pony, but that trick was so absolutely wonderful that one can never get enough of it. ~ Steve Leggett, Rovi
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Mint condition or still sealed (SS). Absolutely perfect in every way. New.
- Fine/Like New (EX): No defects, little sign of use, well cared for. Plays perfectly. Close to new. Not necessarily sealed or unused, but close. Could be an unopened promotional or cut item. Sometimes called: mint-minus.
- Very Good (VG): Will show some signs that it was played and otherwise handled by a previous owner who took good care of it.
- Good (G): Attractive and well cared for, but no longer fresh. Minor signs of wear, scuffing or scratching, but will play almost perfectly. For vinyl: barely detectable crackles or pops.
- Fair (FR): This item is in okay condition. For vinyl: good is not so good and the record may have low level crackles or pops when playing. CD: one or more tracks may skip.
- Poor (P): Obviously well-worn and handled. Most vinyl collectors will not buy good or below, but some tracks on CD or vinyl will play.
- Format: Compact Disc
- Sold by: --
- Label: Ace (Label)
- UPC: 029667141024