A Search For Equality: The National Urban League, 1910 1961
A history of the Urban League that places it within the mainstream of African-American thought, this book shows the League as a major force for civil rights. Understanding the roots of the African-American search for equality, as the author demonstrates, is essential both to students of black history and to participants in the ongoing struggle for universal human rights. Correcting previous interpretations, Professor Moore contends that a number of individuals involved in forming the Urban League rose above the Washington-DuBois controversy, attending to the needs and aspirations of blacks already acculturated to urban life as well as those who arrived in cities without the skills to prosper in a modern, industrial, and increasingly complex society.The book starts by reviewing the changes—psychological, educational, political, social, and geographic —which American Negroes experienced between 1830 and 1910 in the context of similar (if less dramatic) changes affecting American whites.The record presented here shows that cooperation between the NUL and the NAACP has been the norm, despite occasional differences, and that the two organizations remain vibrant forces in the search for equality.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): Book may have been read. Looks new and has no defects. May show remainder marks. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Near Fine (NF): Clean, with no defects, but may show slight wear at edges of book or dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Very Good (VG): Shows signs of wear. May have minor defects: clipped or chipped dust jacket; owner’s inscription; remainder mark; minor foxing or bumping. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. May have any of the defects above to a greater degree, including highlighting, library markings, or loose bindings. Rare and collectible books may have cocked spine, cracked hinges, water stains; torn or repaired dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): May be very worn, soiled, torn, or barely holding together. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): May have extensive damage from moisture or insects; detached boards; parts may be missing; marginally salable unless very unusual. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Pennsylvania State Univ Pr
- ISBN-13: 9780271003023
- ISBN: 0271003022
- Publication Year: 1981